Register now for No cost endless obtain to Reuters.com
LONDON, July 5 (Reuters) – Here are 5 facts about Britain’s new finance minister Nadhim Zahawi, appointed by Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday pursuing the resignation of Rishi Sunak. examine additional
– Zahawi, 55, was born in Iraq and moved to Britain in the mid-1970s when his Kurdish family fled the rule of Saddam Hussein.
– A prolonged-standing member of the Conservative Get together, Zahawi labored in the 1990s as an aide for novelist and politician Jeffrey Archer, who was jailed for perjury in 2001.
Sign up now for Cost-free limitless access to Reuters.com
– In 2000 he co-launched the polling business YouGov and was its chief executive right until 2010, turning the firm into just one of Britain’s top sector analysis corporations.
– Zahawi ran in the 2010 normal election as the Conservative Bash applicant for Stratford-upon-Avon and gained. His accomplishment in company prompted then key minister David Cameron to appoint Zahawi to the plan unit in Downing Road.
– Immediately after working in junior ministerial roles in the education and learning and company departments, he was appointed minister in charge of the COVID-19 vaccine rollouts in 2020. In 2021, Boris Johnson appointed him to the cupboard as education secretary.
(This story corrects to exhibit Zahawi moved to Britain in the 1970s, not 1990s)
Sign-up now for No cost unrestricted obtain to Reuters.com
Reporting by Andy Bruce enhancing by Deepa Babington
Our Expectations: The Thomson Reuters Have confidence in Rules.